My research concerns the relationship between microorganisms and mineral deposits. It is by nature ecological and interdisciplinary, involving aspects of paleontology, sedimentology, and geochemistry. My interests include the role of phototrophic microorganisms in carbonate deposition and dissolution, ecology of modern stromatolites, biokarst formation, and use of microborings as paleoenvironmental indicators. Special interest focuses on diversity of cyanobacteria in the ecological context, reconciling molecular and phenotypic characterizations. Research projects include (a) biosedimentation of microbialite forming and nitrogen fixing marine benthic cyanobacteria in tropical lagoons and coral reefs, (b) bioerosion and biokarst formation by microbial euendoliths in conjunction with grazing in shallow marine environments, (c) the study of microbial fossils including microborings as trace fossils, (d) the role of phototrophic and organotrophic euendoliths in coral skeletons, as potential opportunistic diseases when reef corals are under stress, and (e) formation of carbonate tufa deposits under microbial influence in past and present freshwater systems.
- Charpy L, Palinska KA, Abed RMM, Langlade M, Golubic S (2012). Factors influencing microbial mat composition, distribution and dinitrogen fixation in three western Indian Ocaean coral reefs. European Journal of Phycology, 47: 51-66.
- Tribollet A, Radtke G, Golubic S (2011). Bioerosion. – In: Reitner J, Thiel V (eds.): Encyclopedia of Geobiology. Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, 2011, Part 2, 117-134 (DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4020-9212-1_25). Springer, Berlin.
- Reid RP, Foster JS, Radtke G, Golubic S (2011). Modern marine stromatolites of Little Darby Island, Exuma Archipelago, Bahamas: Environmental setting, accretion mechanisms and role of endoliths. In: Reitner J, Queric V, Arp G (eds.): Advances in Stromatolite Geobiology. – Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences 131: 77-89.
- Golubic S, Abed RMM (2010). Entophysalis mats as environmental regulators. In: Seckbach, J. and Oren, A. (Eds.) Microbial Mats, Modern and Ancient Microorganisms in Stratified Systems. Springer, Heidelberg, New York. pp. 237-251.
- Golubic S, Abed RMM, Palinska K, Paullac S, Chinain M, Laurent D (2009). Marine toxic cyanobacteria: Diversity, environmental responses and hazards, Toxicon 56: 836-841.
- Golubic S, Violante C, Plenkovic A, Grgasovic T (2008). Travertines and calcareous tufa deposits: an insight into diagenesis. Geologia Croatica 61: 363-378.
- Gautret P, De Wit R, Camoin G, Golubic S. (2006). Are environmental conditions recorded by the organic matrices associated with precipitated calcium carbonate in cyanobacterial microbialites? Geobiology 4,93-107.
- BI 311 General Microbiology
- BI 417/617 Lakes and Rivers (Limnology)
- BI 486/668 Marine Microbial Ecology