Sir Hans Kornberg’s lab is not currently accepting applicants for graduate study or postdoctoral appointments
Our main research investigates:
- (1) the mechanisms by which carbohydrates (such as glucose and fructose) are transported across the cell membrane of E.coli and enter the metabolic routes of the organism, and
- (2) the manner in which these processes are regulated, This involves use of microbiological, biochemical and genetic procedures.
Current projects underway attempt to answer questions such as:
- what happens when two carbohydrates are presented to the cell at the same time – which is utilized in preference to the other and why?
- why do non-metabolizable analogs of glucose (such as methyl alpha-glucoside) inhibit growth on some substrates but not on others? And how do mutations that alter these phenotypes exert their effect?
- how do E. coli regulate gluconeogenesis?
- why does deletion of the gene specifying 1-phosphofructokinase (fruK) result in derepression of fructose uptake and how do nearby gene(s) reverse this effect without restoring FruK activity?
- Kornberg HL, Lourenco C (2006) A route for fructose utilization by Escherichia coli. involving the fucose regulon. Proc Nat Acad of Sci, USA, 103, 19496-19499.
- Kornberg HL (2003) Memoirs of a biochemical hod carrier. J Biol Chem. b, 9993-10001.
- Sproul AA, Lambourne LT, Jean-Jacques DJ, Kornberg HL (2001) Genetic control of manno (fructo) kinase activity in Escherichia coli. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98(26), 15257-9.
- Kornberg HL (2001) Routes for fructose utilization by Escherichia coli. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. Jul 3(3), 355-9.
- Kornberg HL, Lambourne LTM, Sproul AA (2000) Facilitated diffusion of fructose via the phosphoenolpyruvate / glucose phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97, 1808-1812.
- Kornberg H, Lambourne LTM (1994) The role of phosphoenolpyruvate in the simultaneous uptake of fructose and 2-deoxyglucose by Escherichia coli. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91, 11080-11083.
- Kornberg HL, Lengeler JW (1994) Bacterial phosphotransferase systems Phosphate in microorganisms: cellular and molecular biology. American Society for Microbiology 149-151.
- Reizer J, Reizer A, Kornberg HL, Saier Jr MH (1994) Sequence of the fruB gene of Escherichia coli encoding the diphosphoryl transfer protein (DTP) of the phosphoenolpyruvate: sugar phosphotransferase system. FEMS Microbiology Letters 118, 159-162.
- BI 422 Intermediary Metabolism
- MB 721 Graduate Biochemistry