My area of research centers on the control of blood cell development in mammals whereby I investigate controlling mechanisms of cellular proliferation and differentiation. Utilizing both whole-animal and in vitro model systems, my laboratory has investigated the role of the lymphokine growth factors interleukin-3 and interleukin-6, the hormone erythropoietin and the proto-oncogene c-kit ligand on red blood cell production in murine tissues. In addition, we have studied the role of hemoglobin derivatives, such as the protoporphyrin hemin, in promoting the clonal growth of primitive hematopoietic stem cells. We are developing a completely defined serum-free clonal cell culture system for these cells and are attempting to define the role of other proteins and cofactors, in addition to growth factors, in their development in vitro.
A second area of interest includes a study of the effects of cell-cycle specific cytotoxic drugs on the intact hematopoietic system of mice with emphasis on recovery kinetics of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. This approach is allowing us to formulate and refine a unique, comprehensive mathematical model of blood cell production in the mouse.
- Monette FC. (2008, textbook in progress). Cell Cycle Biology, Blackwell Science.
- Monette FC. (1993). Cell amplification in erythropoiesis: in vitro perspectives. In: Current Concepts in Erythropoiesis (CDR Dunn, ed.), pp. 21-57. John Wiley & Sons ltd. London.
- Monette FC, Hartwell R, Wu D, Sigounas G. (1991). Erythroid stem cell culture in serum-depleted medium. Journal of Tissue Culture Methods 13:69-75.
- Monette FC, Sigounas G. (1990). Some observations on the growth requirements of multipotent stem cells under defined culture conditions. In: The Biology of Hematopoiesis (N Dainiak, EP Cronkite, R McCaffrey and RK Shadduck, eds.), pp. 37-48. New York: Wiley-Liss.
- Monette FC. (1989). The role of interleukin-3 and heme in the induction of erythropoiesis. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 554, 49-58.
- Monette FC, Sigounas G. (1988). Molecularly characterized factors governing the growth of murine multipotent stem cells in serum-depleted marrow cultures. In: Molecular Biology of Hemopoiesis (M Tavassoli, ED Zanjani, JL Ascensao, NG Abraham, AS Levine, eds.), pp. 289-301. New York: Plenum Publishing Corp.
- Monette FC, Holden SA. (1982). Hemin enhances the in vitro growth of primitive erythroid progenitor cells. Blood 60, 527-530.
- Monette FC. (1979). Review: Antibodies against pluripotent stem cells: Their use in studying stem cell function. Blood Cells 5, 175-191.
- BI 108 Biology 2
- BI 203 Cell Biology
- BI 446/646 Cell Cycle Biology