- Title Professor of Biology, Bioinformatics, and Biomedical Engineering
- Education PhD, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, 2002
- Web Address http://www.bu.edu/segrelab/
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 617-358-2301
- Area of Interest systems biology, evolution of biochemical networks, genomics, metabolic engineering, microbial ecology
We develop theoretical approaches and computational models for the study of complex biological networks. We are especially interested in the dynamics and evolution of metabolism, whose complex web of small-molecule transformations underlies fundamental aspects of biological organization, from energy transduction to cell-cell communication. In addition to helping understand how biological systems function and evolve, we seek to apply our methods to the design and optimization of engineered networks for bioenergy and biomedicine applications.
- Zomorrodi AR, Segrè D (2017) Genome-driven evolutionary game theory helps understand the rise of metabolic interdependencies in microbial communities, Nature Communications, 8:1563.
- Goldford JE, Hartman H, Smith TF, Segrè D (2017) Remnants of an Ancient Metabolism without Phosphate, Cell 168, 1126–1134.
- Zhao Q*, Stettner A*, Reznik E, Paschalidis IC, Segrè D (2016) Mapping the landscape of metabolic goals of a cell, Genome Biology, 201617:109, DOI: 10.1186/s13059-016-0968-2. (*equal contributions)
- Zomorrodi AR, Segrè D (2016) Synthetic ecology of microbes: mathematical models and applications, Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 428, Issue 5, Part B, 837–861.
- Harcombe WR*, Riehl WJ*, Dukovski I, Granger BR, Betts A, Lang AH, Bonilla G, Kar A, Leiby N, Mehta P, Marx CJ, Segrè D (2014) Metabolic Resource Allocation in Individual Microbes Determines Ecosystem Interactions and Spatial Dynamics, Cell Reports 7, 1–12.
- Klitgord N, Segrè D (2010) Environments that induce synthetic microbial ecosystems. PLoS Computational Biology, 6(11): e1001002.
- Riehl WJ, Krapivsky P, Redner S, Segrè D (2010) Signatures of Arithmetic Simplicity in Metabolic Network Architecture. PLoS Computational Biology, 6(4): e1000725.
- Mazumdar V, Snitkin E, Amar S, Segrè D (2009) Metabolic network model of a human oral pathogen. Journal of Bacteriology, Jan; 191(1), 74-90.
- BE 777 Computational Genomics
- BF 821 Bioinformatics Seminar
- BF 571 Dynamics and Evolution of Biological Networks