Undergraduate Advising and Registration
All sophomores through seniors are assigned a Biology faculty advisor to discuss academic, career, and other topics (Stacy is the freshmen advisor). You will meet with each of your advisees at least once a semester for registration advising. You can find your list of advisees in the Faculty Link –> Instructor’s Tools –> Advisee List.
Biology Bulletin – official major requirements
Advising Worksheets – helpful tool for course planning
Course Directory – Biology Department course offerings by semester
- Caitlin Berlo is the CAS Advising liaison for the Biology major. Please feel free to email her with any advising questions!
- Final Exam Policies
- Registration Dates/Times
- Leaves of absence
Fall/Spring Registration Advising
UNDERGRADUATE REGISTRATION PERIODS
- Fall (October – November)
- Spring (March – April)
Advising faculty can check their list of advisees via the Faculty Link.
Note: Students are assigned advisors according to their specialization or area of interest for general biology majors.
Before the registration period begins, you will receive an email regarding the advising process. Faculty are expected to provide 9 hours of advising during the registration period. Faculty are also expected to provide 1 additional hour of advising during one of the Freshmen Group Advising sessions or on one of the Open Advising dates.
- You will submit your availability to the Program Coordinator who will request this information from you prior to the registration advising period.
- If you need to make any changes to your advising availability after the submission deadline, please e-mail the Program Coordinator to make the appropriate changes on AdvisorTrac.
AdvisorTrac is the online scheduling system students use to schedule advising appointments with faculty advisors during the registration period.
- The Program Coordinator will input your hours into AdvisorTrac each semester; you do not need to do this yourself.
- The system automatically generates and sends an email (from firstname.lastname@example.org) to faculty at 5:00 the evening before with your full schedule of appointments for the next day. You only receive an email if there are appointments scheduled the next day. To double-check your schedule for the week, log into AdvisorTrac.
- Students will receive an email reminder of their appointment the day before. The system will NOT allow students to sign up for an appointment less than 24 hours in advance.
Please view the Faculty Instructions for AdvisorTrac if you need help navigating the program.
ADVISING DURING REGISTRATION PERIODS
1. Students sign up for an AdvisorTrac appointment with their faculty advisors after times are added.
2. Faculty meet with students to discuss their course plan for the next semester and beyond. Together, faculty and students should use the Bulletin to review requirements and Degree Advice to see how the requirements are fitting in the student’s major.
3. After next semester’s course plan is decided on, faculty give the student their registration code (provided in your faculty advising packet). For any additional questions that come up during the advising session or if the packet does not have the student’s code, contact Stacy Straaberg Finfrock.
4. At the end of the meeting, faculty should write a note in the student’s account (Student Notes tab) detailing what was discussed. Learn more about Student Notes here >>
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Opportunities for research including eligibility criteria and deadlines can be found here.