Faculty planning grant proposal submissions or who need assistance with pre- or post-award tasks should contact Proposal Development Specialist Cynthia Bradford

The Department of Biology has a designated Research Administrator within the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). The OSP website contains links to commonly used documents, research policy guidelines and procedures, and reporting tools for proposal submission metrics and award management.


The Biology Department’s financial staff consists of Sara Martin, Business Manager; Richard Rigolini, Financial Administrator; and Barbara Caloggero, Senior Accounts Analyst. Any requests for reimbursements, travel advances, vendor invoices, or petty cash should be processed through the financial staff in the Biology Office. Any reimbursements must be substantiated with original receipts. Reimbursement requests typically take 2-4 weeks for processing. Travel advances may take longer, but cannot be issued prior to 2 weeks before the trip.

Hiring Procedures

To hire a Work-Study or student employee to work in a faculty lab, you should be in touch with Richard Rigolini. The process differs slightly for Work-Study vs. student employment, but you’ll need to provide the rate of pay, account or grant to be charged, and a brief description of the work the student will be performing.

Students enter their weekly hours online each week, and all faculty supervisors are required to approve their students’ hours online as well. Students must submit their hours by 12 pm on Friday, and faculty must approve these hours by 4 pm on Friday. A check is issued to a student the following Friday.

To hire a technician, faculty must complete a job description. The “non-exempt” job description can be found on the Human Resources website. Faculty who are hiring a technician for the first time should work with Sara Martin to obtain the current pay scales and salary grades.

Human Resources

All new employees will be contacted by the University’s Onboarding Specialist. An appointment will be made for you to go to Human Resources to complete your employment paperwork and obtain your BU ID (Terrier) Card.

For detailed information regarding employee benefits, orientation sessions, retirement plan eligibility, etc. please visit the Human Resources website.